Thursday, 25 December 2025

Xmas day ride

My wife Dani tends to work Christmas day, which is fine, and it means that she gets a decent block of time off afterwards. So, I'm left to amuse myself, which usually means a bike ride. So, after walking Polo I got kitted up and headed out.

So, across town I went, up the Old Macc. and to the Cat & Fiddle, then across Danebower;


There was a chill wind, cutting through my gloves, and I was happy to drop down to 3 Shires Head and shelter;


I usually linger here, drink tea and listen to the water, but I read that Flash Stores would be open this morning until 1pm, so I grabbed a quick shot and headed up the permissive bridlepath, turning right and staying on tarmac rather than cross the common, and parked the bike outside the cafe. 
The place was rammed and the queue fairly long. I ordered breakfast and tea, and sat on the corner of a table and waited for my food (it took a while, as I said the place was very busy, but I expected that). It could be argued that busy cafes are better than quiet ones, being forced to sit with strangers means that you end up conversing with people that you wouldn't ordinarily talk to, which must be good for the soul.
Food arrived;


And I had a second brew which they didn't charge for (so I left a decent tip). We've been eating there for years now, off and on, the food and service is always good.
Once I'd finished I hit the tarmac for a couple of windy miles then turned off and went over the moors, crossed a field and finally dropped back into town on the Old Macc.;

Weather wise it was cold but dry, good conditions for a ride even with the wind. So, a pretty decent way to spend Xmas day.


Paul.

2 comments:

  1. I saw a lot of photos of Flash Stores on Xmas morning. On Xmas Eve we were at The Nose, but sadly their coffee machine gave up the ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get caught in one or two photos. The cafe was very busy with even more people stood outside eating, but the atmosphere was relaxed. I usually ride on Xmas day so hopefully they'll be open next year as well.

      Delete