Sunday, 7 December 2025

Global Fat Bike Day 2025

The first Saturday in December is Global Fat Bike Day, when fatbikers the world over go for a ride, either in a group or solo. I've done a few group rides, and even organised one, but on the whole I ride alone.

I started out planning to ride Ladder Hill to look at the drainage. but 10 seconds into the ride I spotted a chap lying down on the pavement who obviously needed help, so I pulled over. He had taken a fall and was obviously too ill to stand, so I called an ambulance. He was lying on his side, conscious and able to speak, so the best course of action was to leave him where he was and just put my coat over him (possibly a fairly futile gesture, but it felt like the correct thing to do as it was drizzling) and stay with him until an ambulance arrived.

First on the scene was a paramedic in an unmarked Disco, blue lights flashing, who assessed the situation, put a blanket over the chap and made him comfortable sitting him up leaning against a wheelie bin (which I held in place). The paramedic got on his radio to check up on the ambulance, which was only a minute away. Once the ambulance arrived and the chap was safely inside being assessed by the crew I went back home for a brew. 

I decided to do a shorter ride instead, a figure of 8 through the quarry and around the fields, the conditions were changeable and I was worried that I'd missed the window of good weather.



I think I made the right decision, I was already damp from standing in the drizzle so I wanted to dodge the rain and I needed time to think.

A good ride. The drains can wait.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment