And a cold one it was. I'm not sure what the temperature actually was, but whatever it was the wind chill knocked it right down. We had a light sprinkling of snow the night before, but the main picture today was one of frozen ground and plenty of ice. This was the Old Macc. Road;
Danebower Hollow was better, there was ice, which was actually grippy, but on the whole it ran very well;
The original plan was to head for 3 Shires Head, but as the wind chill was pretty harsh (despite my wearing a skullcap) I cut short and turned left at the end, up the Congleton road then right onto the cut-through. I then took advantage of the frozen ground and went across the moors, heading up onto a ridge and one of my favourite places to stop;
This is somewhere that I will only go when the ground is solid.
Taking shelter behind the rocks I drank tea, ate a couple of bars and enjoyed a brief moment of solitude, before heading back down the edge and crossed over more moorland.
After that it was just a quick run over Axe, then onto the main road and back into town. I will sometimes take the road back in winter rather than cross over onto the Old Macc, simply to avoid an icy descent.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment