Sort of. Out on the bike again today, for a leisurely ride into part of White Peak.
Across the golf course, through the quarry, down Hardybarn then onto the A6 and up the impossible climb to King Sterndale. Here I stopped to look at the medievel butter cross, used to mark where a market would stand, in this case a dairy market selling butter, eggs etc;
I carried on, stopping at the little church at King Sterndale. I've passed by many times, and today I dismounted and had a look around. The door was unlocked and I stepped inside, something that I rarely do unless I'm at a wedding or funeral, I'm not in the least bit religious and I always feel a bit awkward in churches. The place is really small, but interesting and I'm glad that I paused for a few minutes;
Back on the bike, I headed across fields to Horseshoe Dale;
Dropping down the slope reminded me that I haven't ridden this way for a while, the hawthorn bushes next to the right of way were in desperate need of a trim. I usually carry a pair of secateurs when I'm out this way.
There's a gate to get through, which was in the middle of a river today;
I did manage to get through without getting me feet wet by climbing onto the gate, hoisting the bike over, then climbing over. Which would have been great if I hadn't stalled the bike in a huge puddle and ended up with water half way up me shins.
Once I left the Dale I headed over to Chelmorton and another hard off-road climb. Here the mist thickened;
Which is fine, I like a bit of mist on a ride. It also made my next stop, Five Wells, just that little bit more atmospheric;
This is a neolithic burial chamber near Taddington, and usually has some impressive views.
Here I stopped, drank tea, ate a cereal bar or two and enjoyed the solitude.
Carrying on I headed for a couple of decent downhills, the first one ending next to the Waterloo pub (closed). Crossing the A6 I headed for Priestcliffe, and a puddly bermed super fun downhill leading towards Millers Dale.
Onto the road, up to the Monsal, and my last stop, the cafe at the old station for hot chocolate and a sausage roll;
The return home was easy enough, a short jaunt up the A6, turning off to climb up Woo Dale and across the golf course and home. Strip off in the kitchen throwing the clothes in the washing machine, into the shower, then get dressed and listen to Sabbath;
A Monday well spent.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment