I like getting out when the weather closes in, the fog just makes everything a little quieter, a little more mysterious, a little more atmospheric. Today I did one of my regular routes, up to the cat & Fiddle, across Danebower and through the old quarry, over Orchard Common and Axe Edge and finishing down the Old Macc Road.
There's a big puddle on the Danebower Hollow track, and a few smaller ones. I stopped a few times and restored some drains that I created a few years ago;
The big puddle needs its drain digging out every year and needs to be kicked the rest of the time as it clogs with vegetation;
Once its been cleared it flows well;
I didn't need the folding shovel again after that.
After riding through the quarry, noting some motorcycle tracks that have stirred the mud up and climbing up the Common I stopped in one of my usual spots for a break;
I snacked on tea and marzipan;
Just sitting on the moors watching nothing happen is good for the soul I think, and it's something that I don't do enough of.
The rest of the ride was pleasant as well, saying hello to some mushroom pickers who were pleased to find some green wax caps, and riding a track that I've not ridden before before dropping down the Old Macc and into town.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment