Friday, 14 November 2025

Drains drains drains

Yesterday I was on a later than usual shift, covering someone else, so I had a few extra hours in the morning to play with. So, I went out on t'bike, folding shovel in backpack. There's a lane that I've been meaning to work on, and a quiet Thursday morning seemed ideal. I say quiet, as I turned onto the Wytham Lache track I came across a couple of horseriders and an EMAS 4x4 ambulance at a gateway, the co-driver(?) holding the gate for us all. They were out doing a bit of driver training/practice on the byway. I waited for the horses to pass then continued on, past the waiting ambulance, heading for Ladder Hill.

The first puddle has a decent land drain alongside it, it just needed some vegetation cutting back and some silt digging out;




Once I was happy with the way it flowed I moved on to puddle 2. This one is a lot more difficult to drain, I cut into the side which will let some of the water out, dropping the level by a few inches, but won't drain all the water away;




Puddle 3 next. Again a tricky one to drain, again I cut into the side, again all I can hope for is to drop the level by a few inches;




And then onto the corner puddle. This has a drain already, one that I found neglected a few years ago and keep coming back to. It sits under  a tree and the drain clogs up with leaves and grass, so usually just needs a clean. I did cut the grass back and try to widen the channel, but my folding shovel broke;


It has given a good few years of service, but still a shame especially as I now have to find a replacement.
But, the water now flows freely;



Whilst I was here I met a chap on an e-bike (second e-bike of the day), who'd taken the day off to ride as the weather was good. I don't think he understood my obsession with water...


As I type this storm Claudia is doing its stuff, and I wonder how the track is holding up.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment