Saturday, 25 January 2025

Limestone dales and a megalithic tomb

 Out on the bike again today, for a rare White Peak winter ride. I usually stick to the dark stuff in winter, being less muddy and slippery. But I fancied a trip over Chelmorton/Taddington way, partly for a change and partly to visit the Five Wells burial chamber. 

Down to the A6 through Green Fairfield is as good a way to start as any, then up to King Sterndale via a tough climb that I've never cleaned. Up a lane, across fields, down a narrow slope (take secateurs next time), then along the bottom of Horseshoe Dale;


Chelmorton next after a bit of tarmac, and another steep climb;


From there it's a short ride to Five Wells. There's a permissive footpath leading to it, a fingerpoint sign leads the way, which I pushed the bike most of the way along leaving it in the next field. Five Wells is said to be the highest megalithic chambered tomb in Britain.






The views are pretty good! I sat and drank tea and ate marzipan in the lee of the largest stone, despite being a beautiful day the wind blew cold. On the downside I lost half of the chest strap for my aged Camelbak, this makes me a bit sad as I now need to make or source a replacement, and I don't like losing things.

After pushing back to the main track it was off to Priestcliffe and a motorcycle drowning lane that starts puddly then gets swoopy, along here I met quite a number of mtbers climbing up. It's nice to see that climbing is still part of the game. Down to Millers dale then onto the Monsal, bell ringing all the way, back to the A6 and a last climb up Woo Dale;


A good ride out I'd say.

The bike's had some attention this week, there's a new Edna on the front and the old Edna moved to the rear replacing a worn out Ground Control. First impressions are a bit mixed, Ednas roll well but on the back I don't feel it hooks up as well as a GC, but now Specialized have moved away from fatbikes they're not making fat tyres anymore. Whilst the wheels were off both hubs have been stripped and greased, new brake shoes fitted to the rear and a little fluid drained from the rear brake to stop the bugger rubbing.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment