Saturday, 4 January 2025

Frostriding.

 Frosty day today, which is a lot more fun than it sounds on the fatbike. The first off-road section out of town is the Old Macc. Road, running from the Burbage end of Buxton and heading up to the Cat & Fiddle. The going is usually quite tough, especially in high summer when there's no moisture to bind the loose rocks together. Today the steepest section was very slippery, sheet ice in places and an icy coating on the exposed rocks, so I mostly pushed until I got past the worst of it. Once that was out of the way the going was again good, running downhill to Derbyshire Bridge and then up tarmac to the C&F, keeping to the fresh frost in the middle to make the most of the grip.

Opposite the Cat there's a superb bridlepath across Danebower Hollow, in fact it's my favourite track in the area;




That lovely frostiness meant super conditions underwheel, riding through/over frozen puddles proved no problem especially when a coating of frost provided grip.


Danebower is a stretch of moorland that feels really remote despite being between two main roads. Once I got to the end and reached the Congleton road I turned right then doubled back onto a track that leads round to Danebower Quarry. This meant a stream crossing, and a walk down then back up weaving through a pile of quarry waste. Through a gate I went, then contouring round following a wide track to Orchard Common. Once I crossed the Common, which is uphill and could be considered a slog, I stopped for a bite in one of my favourite snack stops. This is in the shelter of a wall, and there I met two walkers and chatted about crowds, winter and wildlife. My snackage consisted of tea and half an Aldi marzipan bar, perfect winter fodder when out on the bike.


All I had to do then was cross Axe Edge and pick up the main Macclesfield road and drop back into Buxton. I'd normally cross over and drop down the Old Macc. Road but when it's icy I will often take the easier, safer road option.

A good ride I'd say, I do enjoy the sound of frost under the wheels, and I love being out in winter.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment