Wednesday, 29 April 2026

Sorting the Inbred

The front end of the Inbred is much too low. It's always been like that, for some reason the clowns* at On-One cut the steerer tube right down when they built the bike, probably to save 50p on spacers. This didn't matter so much 25+ years ago, but I'm older now and a low front end just gives me neck ache, which puts me off riding the thing. 

So, I've fitted a new riser stem and bars. The stem has a 70mm reach, and On-One OG (whatever that means) bars were chosen. These haven't got the amount of rise that I wanted, so they could end up being changed at some point. But, I do like the swept back hand position.


This has only given me another 15mm in height, but my weight is a bit further back so I should be a tad more upright.
Grips are Ergon lock on jobs, the same as on my fatbike.
I also fitted new brake cables, inner and outer with new noodles. The outers and noodles have never been changed before.


A quick ride around the block and up the golf course and all seems good so far. It will be a while before I know whether I'm happy with the set-up or need higher bars.

*When I bought the bike, straight from On-One mail order, back in 2000/1, it came with the wrong size seat post, one size too small. To go with that the clamp was also a size too small. I suspect that the parts bin was being cleared when the put the thing together. On-One made great bikes, but as a company they were crap.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment