Tuesday, 28 April 2026

Should I be here?

This is a wide, well made vehicle track, which does get used by farmers and gamekeepers from time to time;


It stays in condition all year round, I've ridden it in all conditions, rain, snow, fog, and the ground is always good.


I rarely meet anyone else using it, whether on bike or foot.

So, should I be here on my bike? 

The answer is no, it's designated as a public footpath so bikes aren't allowed (unless you get off and push). Which is just stupid, as can be seen in the photos the track is wide and well made, perfect for horses and bikes. But, we're technically not allowed to ride it. But I do anyway. I could ride up and down there all day and do no harm. Historically it's probable that it was once a packhorse trail, something that I ought to check up on, there are the remains of mineshafts either side of the track. The area is littered with bell pits where coal was mined. 

Our rights of way system is out of date, there are hundreds if not thousands of miles of footpaths that could, and should, be upgraded to cycleways or better still bridlepaths.

I'll carry on riding along it. If you see me stop and say hi.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment