I like looking at maps, and when I noted the above, written in the medieval script that the OS likes to use for antiquities, next to a route that I have often ridden I decided to get the bike out and head over to see what 'Cross (remains of)' refers to;
Getting there was easy enough, the cross is next to a route that I've ridden plenty of times. Today however, although my fitness is pretty decent, my strength let me down a bit. There's a fair amount of climbing for such a short route. Still, the views are good;
That's Combs Reservoir in the background, somewhat lacking water at the moment. Even the big puddles on the Ladder Hill lane are pretty dry;
And, the cross;
Without the bike;
Despite the inscription, which was carved into the column in 1725 when a sundial was added, the cross was erected in the 8th or 9th century.
The top;
More information here.
A little bit of Anglo Scandinavian history, and a bike ride. What more can you ask for (except cake!).
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment