Out at 8.30 this morning, before the day gets too hot. Across the golf course, then over a gate and into the quarry. Dani was swimming, so I stopped and said hello and watched her and a friend rescue an air bed;
The place is very busy at the moment, with plenty of swimmers in the water and tents scattered about, along with litter, barbecues, and discarded food. Even the swimmers put-in, usually tidy, was a shit tip. Dani and others took a lot of litter home with them, it's a shame that those that left it couldn't.
I left the swimmers and climbed up onto the waste tip plateau, for some reason I really enjoy riding up there;
I then headed for Dove Holes, and the tracks around Beelow Quarry;
I took a bridleway through a farmyard, and stopped to photograph these two tractors;
Heading back took me up Monkey Brew. It's scarecrow season in Peak Dale, and this horse and rider caught my eye;
I got home about 10am. Yesterday I replaced the rear tyre, a Surly Edna(!) with a Schwalbe Jumbo Jim. JJs are a fast rolling tyre, lighter than Ednas and a bit smaller (4" compared to 4.3"). The extra speed that comes from JJs is at the expense of grip, so I only use them in summer, and then only on the rear. I like a grippy front end, if the rear slides then it can be controlled, if the front slides then you're off.
A good ride.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment