Saturday, 2 July 2016

Warslow Beer Festival Fell Race.

A fell race and beer festival combined? Sounds good to me, so today found me travelling down into the undiscovered country that is White Peak.

I arrived early. Registration started at 1pm, and as numbers were limited to 100 runners I wanted to make sure that I got a place. As it happened I needn't have worried, only about 40 others turned up for the race. On arrival I was directed towards the village hall, where the beer was being served, but the bar staff didn't know anything. Luckily the race organiser popped in, so I ordered a half of something then walked down to the tent that was being used as race HQ.

After a long chat about the route, local races and running clubs I signed in and picked up my race number. With the race starting at 3pm I had time to kill so it was back to the village hall, for cake this time, then I spent time wandering around, photographing some classic cars and old tractors and listening to the local silver band.

Just before 3pm, and as we were lining up for the start, the rain came. It did ease up as we moved off, but returned towards the end when I was atop the last hill with about 2k to go. I say rain, it felt almost hail-like in its intensity, being driven by a cold wind into barely covered flesh. Thankfully it passed (for now) as I descended. At least we runners could keep warm by moving, the poor marshall on top was cowering behind a trig point.

As for the course, well 10k in White Peak, that can't be too hard surely? At the start I was told that the course was tough, and tough it was! Its a category AS race, meaning lots of climbing and short distance. The total height gain was 533m/1749ft, and the gradient profile looks like a bow saw blade. It went up and down around the Ecton and Wetton hills, including one called Sugarloaf. Terrain was mostly on grass, sometimes fairly flat and benign and sometimes tussocky and unruly, through fields. But there was also mud. Lots of mud. Gloopy slippery mud. My running shoes (Salomon Fellraisers) struggled to cope and I wished that instead I was wearing the brand new pair of Inov8 Mudclaws that sit at home in a cupboard unworn. The climbing varied between steep, very steep and oh bloody hell thats steep! Lots of walking involved... The descents followed suit, at times I had to either crab down sideways or zig-zag, especially when descending on the steeper sections. More practise needed I reckon as runners that I left behind on the climbs were catching me on the way back down.

I enjoyed great views from the tops, at one stage I had clear skies to the right and a storm coming in on the left with the distant rumble of thunder. I like to see some wildlife when running, today I enjoyed the sight of swallows darting around.

The fastest runners finished just shy of an hour, I did it in 1:31:41. Did I enjoy it? Oh yes! Sure it was hard, but then isn't that the point sometimes? I finished in 28th place out of 41 runners.

At the finish there were rock cakes (hooray!) and biscuits (McVities chocolate digestives no less), very welcome indeed. Another half of something had to be downed (well, it was a beer festival), a burger joined it, followed by tea and cake. I would have stayed longer but I went on my own as Dani had to work, a shame as she would have driven so I could have had a few more. Anyway, it was a great race with or without the beer festival.

A shoe selfie. Apparently these are popular...

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment