Sunday, 31 July 2016

FAT BIKE!

For over 15 years I've been fascinated by the concept of fat bikes. For those that don't know fat bikes are mountain bikes sporting tyres that are between 4" and 5" wide. They were originally designed for sand and snow riding, basically bikes that will go to places were no other bike can. More riders are discovering them, and using them for 'normal' riding instead of a regular mtb. Although still a niche, fat bikes are slowly gaining popularity with some of the more mainstream manufactorers, and even one camping store, producing bikes.

I have finally succumbed to a fat bike, and am now the proud owner of a Sonder Vir Fortis. Sonder is a new bike company, being the bike division of outdoor gear company Alpkit. I visited Alpkit's factory shop last Wednesday for a test ride, ordered a size large bike, and picked it up on Friday. Saturday saw us driving down to North Norfolk for our annual family holiday, and this morning I had my first proper ride on my new bike. Of course I headed for the beach;


The frame is carbon, a first for me, as are the forks. Gearing is SRAM GX1 11x1 (11 tooth sprocket on the back, single chainring on the front).


Most of the finishing kit is Alpkit's own 'Love Mud' range, including the wheels. Note the drilled rims to reduce rotating weight, that's the rim tape that can be seen peeking through.


Tyres are Schwalbe 'Jumbo Jims' and are 26" x 4", but this bike will take tyres up to 5" wide. Bars are 740mm wide, wide bars being the norm for modern mtb's. The extra leverage will be usefull for manouvering that wide front end about.

Unfortunetely I put a scratch on the downtube carrying the bike in the back'o'Landy, despite covering the frame in an old fleece blanket;


Not happy!

Tyre pressure is important on these bikes, with 10 psi being a good general starting point. But that was found to be too high for soft sand, so I've ended up with 6psi front and rear. I reckon that will be too low for the Peaks so further experimentation will be needed when I return home.

First impressions are good. Despite the huge wheels this is a light bike, one that wants to be ridden fast. Handling with the tyres pumped up to around 9-10psi is suprisingly nimble, obviously lower pressures will affect the ride. The head tube and seat tube angles are slack, following current thinking on mtb geometry and very close to Surly's Ice Cream Truck.


Riding in soft sand is pretty hard work, but quite satisfying for some reason. Roll on winter, and snow!

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment