The race started on a side road, known locally as the dam road, at 11.15. A bell rings and 76 runners head up the road, down a lane, and off into the countryside heading towards Castleton. Of course we didn't reach that honeypot, turning west and heading to Eldon Hill before dropping back into Peak Forest. The terrain was mostly grassy fields and stone farm tracks, dry underfoot apart from a few small mud patches. Steady climbs meant only a little walking, although with greater fitness I reckon that I could run the entire course, and the descents not too steep or gnarly. I still need to work on my pacing, descending technique and endurance, yet again I found myself passing other runners on the climbs only to have them come past me again when the course points downhill.
The day was warm and humid, with a fairly strong wind. Unusually for a short course there was a drinks station halfway round, where I threw a cup of water down my neck. To my shame I didn't thank the lady and young lad who were handing out the drinks, I usually make a point of thanking marshalls. After all most do it just for the love of the sport.
The final downhill saw me up the effort, which worked as I passed a few other competitors. After a final sprint on tarmac I was back at the start, one hour and 41 seconds later. This put me in 47th place out of 75 finishers.
| The rather modest finish line. |
I will confess to taking a couple of cup cakes home with me as well...
Todays race was another great event, I really enjoyed the course, the laid back atmosphere, and the refreshments! Again a fine example of grass roots sport, and all for a five quid entry fee.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment