Sunday, 10 November 2013

Mam Tor Figure of 8.

This is the second time that I've done this ride, the first time was many years ago, not long after I made the move up here. Its another route from the 'Dark Peak Mountain Biking' book. Again I moved the start point, parking near the Blue John Cavern, which saved me driving down the Winnats Pass and into Castleton, getting annoyed with day trippers (drivers and pedestrians) who seem to leave their road sense at home...

The first stage was to ride tarmac along to the start of Rushop Edge, with its mud and ruts. I've never really got the hang of rut riding, and slippery conditions under wheel didn't help. I'd lent my nice grippy Bontrager front tyre to Dani, she raced in the Evil Sherriff off-road duathlon yesterday and needed the grip, refitting my Kenda Karma in its place. Karmas are decent enough tyres, gripping well on rock and loose stuff, but their shallow blocks just don't cut the mustard in slippy mud. I don't mind the rear end sliding about but I do like the front to stay planted. So I shall blame the tyre for my comedy fall on the Edge rather than my poor bike handling skills! Up here on the high ground in the dips and hollows where the sun doesn't reach small patches of snow could be seen. Winter is here.

Looking along Rushup Edge, on the other side of the wall is a footpath.
But you soon cross through a gate onto lovely rocky hard pack. It was along here that I came up behind a couple of elderly walkers, a lady and someone that I presume was her husband. She was friendly, moving aside so I could pass. He refused to acknowledge me, despite my friendly 'hello's', even when I was along side him he kept his eyes on the ground and kept walking. Obviously doesn't like mountain bikers. A stark contrast to the other 99% of people that I meet when out riding who are all really friendly, move aside for me to pass, and even hold gates open for me!

Turning off towards Chapel Gate I had a couple of very large puddles to contend with, one up to my bottom bracket, before reaching the descent. When I first rode it, about 6 years ago, it was a badly eroded rubble strewn chute, now its been sanitised with a layer of planings (reclaimed tarmac chips). All very nice for walkers I suppose, but rather boring from a mtb point of view. But the views across Kinder and down the Edale valley are superb, especially in the low winter light.
Chapel Gate, before the descent, looking towards Edale.
The descent as seen from below. Once this was a gnarly test piece...

At the end of Chapel Gate its tarmac time again, this time a tough climb up to Mam Tor, 'cat. 1' apparently. I had to stop twice to get my breath back, but I did overtake a couple of other cyclists so I wasn't doing too bad for an unfit singlespeeder.

The next off road section was a nice muddy climb contouring around Mam Tor, dropping down to Hollins Crosss. The descent was slippy and rutted and saw my second fall of the day. On reaching Hollins Cross I turned left down a bridlepath towards Castleton, a descent that I didn't particulary enjoy the first time and didn't particulary enjoy this time. Rutted, slippy grassland has never appealed to me to be honest, its not a surface that I'm comfortable on. I fell off again. A gate leads to a wet narrow rocky track, much more fun and the last off road section of the day.

Tarmac took me through Castleton, thronging as usual, and past Treak Cavern. Then the tarmac gets far more interesting as a landslip has left the road to the east of Mam Tor a jumbled broken mess. Then its past the Blue John cavern and back to the Landy.

15 kilometres, 2 hours 5 minutes, 3 falls, one grumpy man (just makes me laugh!), superb views.

Paul.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fab ride, apart from the slippy grassland and the tumbles...I had a look at the map to remind myself, although I have only ever walked it. We sometimes get the same problem with grumpy peds on our (very) local route, around Llyn Hafod-y-Llyn and through the Cai Fali woods. One gent a while ago deliberately walked into my very slow trajectory and wouldn't move until I dismounted...oh well, I had nothing to prove...anything to keep him happy :-) As you say, most folk are really nice (until they get back in their cars, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find him to be quite amusing. I make a point of being friendly and saying hello to others when biking, slowing down for walkers and horses, especially as there are a lot of people who see mtbers as yobs.
    I don't know if you've noticed it Iain, but the further away you are from the roads and car parks the friendlier folk are.
    When mtbing in France walkers move aside smiling, waving and shouting 'Bonjour' as you pass!

    ReplyDelete