Out with the canoe and off to Rudyard Lake today with Peak Paddlers. I like Rudyard, especially at this time of year when the trees are showing their autumn colours. The water was still, and low (due to repairs on the dam wall, the 'lake' is actually a reservoir) and the weather cool and misty. I was hoping for sun, to make the most of the colours of the surrounding trees more than anything else.
I did pack the Kelly Kettle and planned to brew up at the end of the lake, however the cold damp air put me off the idea. Small Dog came along, I left Big Dog at home, my canoe isn't big enough for three!
We all did a lap of the lake together, chatting and catching up as we paddled, before returning to the dam end for tea and food at the cafe (sausage and egg bap, very nice). Then a few went home leaving three of us to paddle another lap.
I enjoy being on Rudyard, what it lacks in size it makes up for in charactor. There's some interesting properties along the shore, including some highly distinctive boathouses.
The weather conditions didn't make for good photography, but here's some pics anyway;
 |
| Getting ready, my boat in the foreground. |
 |
| Looking down Rudyard from the dam. |
 |
| Small Dog looking landward. |
 |
| Chris in Swiss (hat). |
 |
| On of the more impressive boathouses. |
 |
| The view from the driving seat. |
 |
| Small Dog modelling the latest colours... |
 |
| Every boat should have one! |
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment