Sunday, 3 November 2013

In praise of - Lifeventure Thermal Mugs.

When Dani came home with one of these I thought she'd gone mad, after all its expensive for what looks to be just a posh flask...
But once I'd seen it in use a few times I changed my mind and bought my own. Its basically a vacuum flask constructed from stainless steel which holds 300ml, or one cup of tea in real terms. Tea is kept hot for hours, it doesn't leak, it withstands abuse and is easy to clean. When new they even look smart, but these are designed to be used and a few scuffs and dents add character.

Tea, an important part of the outdoor experience.

There is a dedicated jacket available for it which claims to improve performance by 25% as well as protect it from knocks, I use a neoprene jacket that came with a small Thermos with mine and I reckon that using a jacket does help keep your tea hotter for longer.
Like any flask though the trick is to pre-heat it with boiling water before use.

Paul.

4 comments:

  1. I've just been re- reading a marvellous book by Davie Bell, about his cycling exploits around Ayrshire and farther afield. Tea is never far from the narrative and it reminded me of the brew-up spot on Loch Lomond when I was with the Glasgow Coureurs, and how much we enjoyed the tea. These days it would be coffee in my flask...and this item looks a lot more serviceable than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tea is an important part of our lives, and is often drunk it by the pint after a good ride (like yesterday!).
    I'll have to look out for that book. My favourite cycling book is 'The Immortal Class' by Travis Hugh Culley, about working as a cycle courier in Chicago. It made my daily commute through the Bedford traffic seem tame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just looked up that book by TH Culley...it sounds great, just my kind of read...I will have to wait a tiny while until I buy it as I've just bought the Langollen Tramways book! :-)

    Davie Bell's book is a rare one now, although it can be picked up on Ebay sometimes...I keep meaning to do a blog post about him on "Losing Track." I'll let you know if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to order my copy of The Immortal Class from across the pond at the time, I'd heard of it from a review in 'Singletrack' magazine but couldn't find it over here. I now now that it can be found on Amazon for 37p (+ postage) secondhand.
    Singletrack magazine also introduced me to Innis & Gunn beer...

    ReplyDelete