Sunday, 22 September 2013

Macc. forest again - but in reverse.

I had great plans for this weekend - yesterday I finished work for two whole weeks and had planned to go mountain biking with Dani. As it happened we both woke up with colds so apart from walking the dogs and doing the weekly shop we stayed in and rested.
Feeling nicely rested today we decided to do a shorter ride than planned so returned to Macclesfield Forest this evening to ride the loop we previously rode, but this time in reverse (clockwise). And it gave us a chance to test out Dani's new Thule bike rack, bought because the brake calipers on her new Genesis bike won't fit onto the 14 year old carriers we use on her car (we prefer the type of carrier where the front wheel is removed and the forks are locked in place).
Before riding we took both dogs for a forest walk. Big Dog could then be left in the car whilst Small Dog accompanied us, Big Dog although being fit and active is a bit old to be expected to keep up. Evening riding also meant less traffic, both human and vehicle.
I found the start of a downhill course leading from a fireroad, I left Dani and Small Dog to ride the fireroad whilst I followed it through the woods. A choice of routes gave me the option of following a stoned track or branching left and mud. I went left and soon regretted it - the ground was soft and peaty and deeply rutted in places, not really my kind of riding. I soon fell off and ended up walking some of the steeper parts, but some of the flatter singletrack sections were fun. Still, judging by the amount of use the track has seen a lot of riders are enjoying it and its good to see that the forest managers are allowing trails to be built.
I rejoined Dani and Small Dog at a gate and the start of a stretch of tarmac. The second half of the ride involved a fair amount of climbing and I have to state that I did walk up part of the last two steep sections before Charity Lane. In my defense I was on the singlespeed Mojito - and I should really change the front chainring to lower the gearing a touch.
Doing this ride clockwise means that Charity Lane is the last offroad section and we get to ride down rather than up the steepest part - great fun with plenty of line choices and rocks to keep you on your toes.

A late start and fading light meant poor conditions for photography, but here's one of Dani enjoying the view;

Dani enjoying the late evening sun.
Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment