Saturday, 14 September 2013

Ladybower 2.

Dani has decided that we really ought to go mountain biking every week when possible. So I had a look through Vertebrate Graphic's 'Dark Peak Mountain Biking' guidebook earlier in the week and decided that the route 'Ladybower 2', which runs round part of the reservoir, looked good. Its a route that I've ridden before, but not for many years, so I had an idea of what to expect. So after I finished work and after Dani had finished a road training session (which mostly comprised of riding hard up hills) we set off this afternoon.
Leaving the Landy alongside the A57 next to Ladybower we set off towards Crookhill Farm and the first grassy climb, easy going with great views although the initial tarmac climb up to the farm was tough. When the terrain flattened out we were treated to some superb riding along rutted tracks with plenty of line choices to keep us entertained.
Up the first grassy climb.

This track led past Lockerbrook Farm (an outdoor centre) then up a short rocky climb then down through Nabs Wood and the Gores Farm descent, apparently one of the top ten descents in the Dark Peak, which puts me in mind of a Welsh trail centre.
Tarmac awaits at the bottom and took us over the dam (made famous by the Dambusters) and towards the next testing ascent. Increasingly steep flagstones took us uphill towards cobbles then loose stones and big rocks, which had us both off and walking although Dani managed to ride more of the hill than I did. When the track levelled out we enjoyed some great moorland riding past the Hurkling Stones and Whinstone Lee Tor, with bombholes, puddles and rocks to keep things interesting and great views to distract us. Following the bridlepath around to the left at a junction with several paths led to more superb riding across moorland, again with multiple line choices.
The start of the flagstones, before things got steep...


Between steep sections.
Moorland trails.

Sheep around here are used to bikes!
The final few sections had some technical rocky descents, including some interesting drop-offs, before leading us to back to the A57 and a short ride to the Landy.
Dani on one of the final downhill sections.

I rode the Mojito, and I have to say that I didn't miss having suspension or gears at all, however I do plan to lower the gearing slightly. There's great satisfaction to be had from riding a rigid bike through rock gardens...

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment