To test the new brakes I took the Mojito out on a short local route. Short because I've been up since 4.20 this morning and done a shift at work. Dani came along on her 29er despite having been out on a tri club road ride whilst I was working.
Leaving Buxton on Manchester Road we cycled up Long Hill before turning off up Old Road, the byway which ands up around the back of White Hall outdoor centre. The first off road climb is stiff and rubbly, and I was suprised to see two cyclists descend on road bikes. I managed to ride up the steepest most technical section before stalling just before the top. Broken tarmac leads to another rubbly section, this time downhill, at the back of White Hall and tarmac.
 |
| Dani descending Old Road past White Hall. |
The next off road section is a UCR running through a sheep field with a rocky descent half way along. We suprised a small group of Roe deer (at SK031784), about 7 or 8 in total including some young looking animals, who on seeing us jumped a dry stone wall and made for the top of Ladder Hill. I knew that there were Red Deer in the Goyt Valley and across towards the Roaches but I've never seen any deer in this area. Unfortunately I was too slow with the camera!
 |
| Riding through the sheep field. |
This lane took us to a fast tarmac descent to the start of Long Lane and a tough technical climb that had us both walking. It soon flattens out though, and some good quality riding including a fast rocky descent lead us back onto tarmac where we turned left and climbed back to Old Road and then onto Long Hill and home.
 |
| The hard work's over, the top of the technical ascent, Long Lane. |
We were out for about an hour and three quarters, but we did stop a lot to take photos and watch deer!
The brakes performed superbly, making descending fun again now I don't have to worry about stopping if needed!
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment