Sunday, 8 September 2013

Across Combs Moss to Allstone Lee.

Today I decided to do a bit more exploring on Combs Moss and head over towards Allstone Lee for a spot of bouldering. So with my rock shoes, chalk bag and a copy of local bouldering guide High Over Buxton in my bag I headed across town to Lightwood, getting onto Combs Moss at Flint Clough. I followed the dry stone wall along Black Edge for just over a kilometre before turning NW across the moor following another wall.

Looking along the wall towards Allstone Lee.

Once I reached the opposite side of the plateau I followed the edge north looking for a particular block among the crags which is mentioned in my bouldering guide.

Looking towards Allstone Lee.
Finding the right block amongst the rocks proved somewhat difficult, so instead I found a part of the crag that I liked and made up my own, admittedly very easy (I'm a rubbish climber), routes, and, just for fun, named them;

'My Toes Hurt'

'Heathery Block'

'Out Of Practice'
 Climbing around on rock miles from anywhere on my own might seem a trifle risky (I did stay well within my comfort zone), but I think that the most danger came from walking around in smooth soled climbing shoes on grass!
When I did find the part of the crag mentioned in the book it turned out to be about 12' high, well above what I would climb without a rope;
The block metioned in 'High Over Buxton'.
Looking SE.
On the way back I decided to test my navigation and follow a bearing in a straight line across the moors back to the start point 1.5 kilometres away. This meant following the compass across featureless moorland (when I could see usefull targets in the distance I deliberately ignored them), not an easy task as I was well away from any paths and the ground conditions were difficult in places, I managed to get both legs soaked on seperate occasions stepping into hidden streams. I was about 75 metres off target(!), veering too far right, but at least I know what I need to work on!
Featureless moorland, a test of navigation skills.
However, the weather was superb;
The view towards Combs, the reservoir can just be seen.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment