Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Driving home from work by the scenic route.

Early shift this week, so on the way home this afternoon I stopped at the bike shop in Whaley Bridge to order a new chain. Rather than double back to the A6, my usual route home, I decided that a spot of gentle greenlaning was in order. I firmly believe that lanes should be driven gently with consideration not only to other users (I'm quite happy to pull over and wait for mountain bikers, walkers, horseriders etc. to pass) but also to the ground itself, for example I wouldn't drive along a muddy lane after heavy rain to avoid creating or worsening ruts. I prefer to drive lanes on weekdays when there are less people about, mainly because I like to avoid crowds (the Peaks get very busy at weekends). I keep my speed down as well, low 2nd or 3rd, its actually nice to just bimble along and far kinder to the ground and the vehicle. And besides why hurry when there are some stunning views to be enjoyed!

The first lane I drove was Long Lane (SK019793 to SK032788). This is quite a narrow track for most of its length with greenery brushing both sides of the Landy in places, another reason to only use it on weekdays as passing would be difficult in places. However, being narrow means that 4x4s have to stay on track and cannot stray off and damage verges, which does happen on wider lanes such as the Old Macc. Road where morons have chewed up sections of verge testing out their extreme tyres and lifted suspension.

On Long Lane, Combs Moss on the horizon.

Then I turned right and up a short stretch of tarmac which led me to a farm gate and another lane running through sheep fields (SK032785 to SK026777);

Through the sheep fields, Combs Moss on the horizon.

At the end of this lane I turned left and followed tarmac until I reached the back of White Hall outdoor centre and the start of a byway marked 'Midshires Way' known as Old Road or Whiteleas Road which is the route of a Roman road and runs alongside part of Combs Moss (SK032765 to SK043747). A short climb on rubble (this part of the lane is regulary repaired as it gets washed out in rain) leads to broken potholed tarmac and fine views of the Goyt Valley;

Driving on broken tarmac, Old Road.
This leads to a short rubbly descent to a very narrow road leading onto Long Hill and a short drive to back into Buxton.

All of these tracks are part of my local short mountain biking route, in the Landy I can sit back and take in the scenery whereas on the bike I'm normally too busy concentrating on line choice and sweating and swearing on the uphills!

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment