Every time I've driven along the A6 between Buxton and Dove Holes I've looked over towards Black Edge, which is on the edge of Combs Moss, and wanted to go for a wander up there. Today I did.
After getting home from work (double time on Sundays) I filled a travel mug with tea, grabbed a map, put leads on the dogs and headed across Buxton to Lightwood Woods where I often walk the dogs. I followed a path up towards Flint Clough then at SK054 755 headed NE following a dry stone wall up onto Black Edge;
 |
| Looking NE along Black Edge. |
A nice easy path follows the wall along the edge of moorland, from which can be seen the A6, Dove Holes and Peak Forest quarries. Looking SW the Cat & Fiddle can be seen on the horizon. Two TV masts provide good navigational aids (I did get the compass out just for a bit of practice, its worth refreshing these skills from time to time I think), at least in clear weather. The moors are designated Access Land, no footpaths are marked on the map so today was about getting up there and seeing what was on the ground.
Heading towards a trig point (SK062 770) the dogs found a small pond to swim in;
 |
| Small Dog taking a dip. |
And here's the trig point;
 |
| Trig point on Black Edge. |
|
I stopped at Hob Tor (SK063 778), drank my tea looking over Dove Holes, then turned around and retraced my steps back towards Buxton.
 |
| Small Dog enjoying the view at Hob Tor. |
The sun was out the whole time which was a suprise as I expected drizzle at the very least. I didn't see a soul after leaving Lightwood, the path seems little used, the only tracks seen were from a solitary fell runner and a mountain bike.
Today was about exploring, seeing what the terrain was like and checking out paths for future walking. The moor itself is a plateau, and I'd like to spend more time in the area as I think in the right conditions (heavy snowfall and only light wind) it would be a superb place for snowshoeing.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment