| Dani's new Genesis 29er. |
We wanted a short ride, I'm frankly out of condition (this is the first mtb ride of the year for me!) and tired from working too much and Dani is competing in Ely Half Ironman on Sunday and didn't want to risk injury, so a short loop seemed suitable.
With chains lubed, Camelbacks filled, bikes and rack strapped to the Landy we soon found ourselves in a carpark on the edge of the forest (we're too tight to pay to park in the main carpark). Another time might see us riding there rather than driving.
We rode anti-clockwise. A short tarmac section led us to Charity Lane, signposted as 'Forest Bridleway' although I'm certain that its a Byway or UCR, and a steep loose climb that had us both puffing and pushing on the steepest section. Once at the top of the climb we were able to enjoy fine views over Cheshire and Derbyshire;
| Dani climbing Charity Lane, the Cat & Fiddle can just be seen on the horizon far left. |
Here's a couple more views of Dani riding;
| Again the Cat & Fiddle can be seen on the horizon, this time in the centre. |
| Near the end. |
I enjoy forest riding, when I lived in Bedfordshire I used to frequent Rowney Warren (a short ride from my home at the time) and spend a few hours hammering around the XC course on my Inbred (one of the first batch, s/s and rigid) and seeking out singletrack, something I miss since moving up North despite the fact that the Peaks is a first class biking venue.
Paul.
*I mostly ride a cheap,heavy, rigid forked singlespeed 29er hardtail with rubbish cable disc brakes.
I like your new blog, Paul. I sympathise with you, all I seem to do these days is work and sleep...have taken to doing 15 min sessions on the turbo in desperation! I still haven't done any of the Lechwedd trails, although perhaps they are a little gnarly for an old roadie!
ReplyDeleteMy Dad and I used to frequent Macc Forest years ago, on road bikes though. Jenkin Chapel was a favourite spot.
Love the pic of your Landie, too!
cheers,
Iain
Thanks Iain. As I type this (on a Friday night) I'm thinking about bed ready for another weekend of overtime, another 7 day week. All I want to do is wander off somewhere... ho hum.
ReplyDeleteDani spends a lot of time on her turbo - she's into triathlon and trains hard daily.
We hope to go mountain biking in Wales at some stage, I've visited most of the trial centres over the years (I got to know Coed-y-Brenin quite well) but not for a while and Dani is quite keen to ride somewhere new.
The Landy pic is one of my favourites and I really must get it printed and framed. It was taken when I was returning from a snowshoeing jaunt down towards Three Shires Head and it was blowing hard up on the moors that day. To park in that spot meant charging a small drift - great fun!