Saturday, 7 February 2026

Riding in the rain

Raining today, and misty as well. The kind of weather that usually keeps us indoors with a cup of tea and a good book. But rather than take the sensible option I went out.

Waterproofs on, up the Old Macc. to the Cat & Fiddle, then across Danebower Hollow;


Today was a day for just riding, forgetting about kicking drains and suchlike.
I picked up the track through Danebower Quarry, which then contours round moorland, rear Edna struggling for grip on the wet ground in places;


The rain persisted.


Eventually I reached my usual stopping place and sheltered behind a drystone wall eating marzipan and drinking tea;

Here I swapped gloves, my Madison Avalanches being wet through. But, putting damp hands into wet gloves doesn't always work, they stick on the lining. So I used my spare spare pair, Planet X lobster claws. Carrying two extra pairs worked well today! Lobster claws are nice and warm, but I don't care for having to do two finger braking after years of only needing one finger to stop. But, my hands were very warm!

Riding in the rain can be great fun once you've committed, as long as you're waterproofs hold up. I was wearing my new Madison trousers and an aged Decathlon jacket, both kept me warm and dry. Being out when sensible people are staying in somehow feels good, I caught myself smiling several times on the ride. I remember plenty of rides like that when I lived in Bedfordshire, rides where I had to force myself out the door but always came home damp but elated.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment