Monday, 23 June 2025

Back in the kayak

Yesterday morning I decided to drag the kayak out of the garden for the first time in over a decade and take it for a paddle. Dani and the Colonel often swim in a flooded quarry, so I joined them. They walked over, it's a short walk from our house, whilst I threw the boat in the van and drove over.


The quarry was busy as a group of males had set up camp and were getting ready to play in the water. They didn't bother us as we got in, but Dani did say that she was happy that she was in the company of two blokes.

Getting back into the kayak after so long was not as hard as I thought it would be although it took me a while to learn to relax on the water. The hardest part was getting used to sitting in the boat with my legs and ankles stuck at unusual angles, whitewater boats tend to be worn rather than sat in so can be a pretty tight fit. My paddling skills aren't as rusty as I thought they would be and a few more sessions should help get them back up to scratch. I didn't do a wet exit, but next time I should make sure that I can get out if I capsize. I do intend going out again when Dani is swimming, I used to love kayaking and I want to see if I still do.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment