Tour time this week, and again we have the route passing close by. So Dani and myself rode out of town up the Old Macc. Road to the Cat & Fiddle, which was the top of the third of todays King of the Mountain stage. The riders would be coming up from Macclesfield then turning off and heading towards Congleton and down to Tatton Park.
The climb out of Buxton on the O.M. Road is steep and quite tricky, with lots of loose rock to stall your front wheel. I haven't ridden it for a while, and have only cleaned it a couple of times (on my Kona full bouncer). Today I was on the fat bike, and made it up with only one dab, as did Dani on her White hardtail (now fitted with new wheels, tubeless rims on pink Hope hubs).
We rode up to the pub, which for quite a few months has been closed. But beer was to be had, from an inflatable pub in the car park...
I didn't succomb today, although the irony of buying beer in a pop up pub in a pub car park did have an odd appeal. However we did both pick up free cowbells from a holiday stall. Dani got a bit carried away ringing hers...
We chose a spot just down from the C&F, as the KOM finish line outside the pub and the corners were crowded and I wanted to take a few pics. Like this one;
After the usual procession of course cars and motorcycles (what do they all do?) the breakaway group of Stannard, Briggs and House came through with a six and a half minute lead over the peloton came past, Stannard (on the left) smiling and looking comfortable;
Judging by the camera bike looking straight at me I must have been on the telly (again). Dani's on the left of the photo.
Here's the peloton coming through, two Team Sky riders at the head;
We enjoyed a fun ride back, down the Old Macc. Road again, then headed to our favourite Buxton cafe (The Green Pavilion) for tea and cake.
A good day out, and a rare chance for Dani and myself to cycle together (she's normally hammering her road bike and I'm usually either running or out on the fatbike).
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment