Sunday, 11 September 2016

Goyt Valley Trail Run.

September is here, and with it the first round of Dark & White Events Autumn series of trail races. These events have two different length courses, when I did the Spring series I competed in the short course races but this time I've entered the long course events.

Today's race was in the Goyt Valley, starting and finishing at Errwood Sailing Club. Whilst the short course runners had a mass start the long course competitors went out in staggered intervals between 8.30am and 9.30am. I chose to start quite late at 9.20, partly so that I wouldn't be overtaken too many times by later starters and could chase down earlier starters, and partly to give myself a few extra minutes in bed.

Conditions were good, in fact from my point of view too good, being warm and sunny when a bit of drizzle would have helped me cool off, especially as I was a tad overdressed (well, its usually a bit grim when I run in the Goyt).

The course started off with a tarmac climb before heading south off road towards moorland, firstly on wide tracks then through rocky singletrack with some boggy sections. I don't mind a bit of mud during a race, if you're prepared to motor through rather than skip around you can make up a few places and save a few seconds. A bridge reached, then north firstly on tarmac then through wooded paths and stony tracks, climbing through a car park with an awkward surface, then past the feed station and through more woodland on a fire road. Now we pass farms on the way to Taxal, over the River Goyt, and start the return leg back to Errwood. This section was very familiar to me, I've ran it and rode it on various occasions over the years. Fields now, following the river, crossing it again, climbing up and heading for Fernilee Reservoir. Once at the dam its easy running home, dodging dog walkers then a steep slope just before the finish.

I finished in 55th place out of 121 runners in a time of 1:49:19. The course was 17.4k long.


Dani raced today as well, doing the short course. She finished in 5th place with a time of 32:49
We are both quite happy with our efforts, although my legs are now shot!

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment