Sunday, 11 February 2018

Sherwood bloody Pines.

I've been riding at Sherwood Pines a couple of times recently. Trail centres aren't really my thing these days, but there was a time when I lived in Bedfordshire and myself and my regular riding partner Dave used to travel to Wales on a regular basis to ride either Coad-y-Brenin, Afon or Cym Carn. Nowadays, living in the Peaks means that I'm spoilt for good quality riding without having to travel far, or at all.

Gas van and Inbred.

There have been a couple of all-female rides over at Sherwood recently, which Dani was keen to join. So we packed the bikes in the van (an ex-Scottish Gas VW Caddy which has now replaced my aged Landy) and headed over. Of course, being all female rides I couldn't join in so I rode alone, not a problem to be honest even though I enjoy riding with my wife.

One fuckin' speed.

Both occasions coincided with my fatbike being off the road, the first time with a knackered rear wheel and today with a dead front brake (the lever piston has seized). So, I used my ancient (circa 2000/2001) fully rigid On-One Inbred. This was one of the first batch of Inbreds, when you had the choice of either one gear and V brakes or one gear and V brakes. I love this bike, and rode it all over Bedfordshire when I lived down there. Nowadays its looking a bit dated, with it narrow riser bars, 26" wheels and low front end (due to the steerer tube being cut right down). Having a low front means neck ache for me these days.



One thing that I have remembered from riding the Inbred recently is just how much I love riding singlespeed. Yes its hard work at times, but I love the simplicity of the set up, the lack of noise from gearshifts, the fact that you're concentrating on your line and not on your gear choice, and the directness. By directness I mean the way all of your power goes straight to the back wheel as soon as you crank the pedals, something which is hard to describe and is best experienced. I'm now thinking of building a new singlespeed bike, something in steel, fully rigid, plus sized wheels and with more up to date geometry.


And onto the trails. every trail centre has its own character. Sherwood's trails are mostly fairly flat singletrack, twisting through the trees, bermed here, flat there, nothing too technical (apart from one rocky man made drop off). There is a jump park and downhill course, but I have yet to explore them. The red trail takes about an hour to ride, depending on conditions, on my first visit the ground was hard and dry but today it was muddy. Very muddy in fact, which added to my time.


I have to say that I did enjoy my visits there. Trail centres aren't my favourite riding locations, but sometimes it is nice to just go out and hammer some singletrack, singletrack being a bit lacking in the Peaks. I'm sure that we'll be back soon, as the terrain is very similar to a typical cross country race course so riding there will be good practice for Dani to get her prepared for the race season.

Dani, in her race top.

Yours truly, with extra mud and winter beard.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment