Sunday, 25 February 2018

Lady Cannings.

The fatbike has been out of action for a few weeks, due to the front brake lever having a seized piston, a common fault with Sram Guide R brakes it seems. So I've bought a complete secondhand set from that ebay place as a quick fix and swapped over the dodgy lever to one from the 'new' set. I did think about going for broke and forking out for a new Hope front brake, but money is a bit tight and anyway I like the feel of the Sram jobs. So, the plan is to try and make these brakes last for another year or three and only replace when I need to. Yesterday I did a short road ride to make sure that everything was hunky dory, which it was. Just as well really as a big steep hill figured in my route choice.

Today however, Dani and myself loaded up the van and headed across towards Sheffield for a visit to Lady Cannings Plantation, home to a couple of purpose built mountain bike tracks. First however we stopped in Hathersage, so that Dani could swim in the open air pool and test out her new Alpkit wetsuit. I just watched, drinking tea, whilst Dani braved the water. Which she very much enjoyed. After more tea and a plate of cheese and chips we headed out again.

We found a parking space just south of Burbage North, unloaded the bikes and hit tarmac. And a headwind. A cold one at that. I've fitted Confucius bars on the bike, which proved their worth as I could use the front loop and tuck into a more aerodynamic position, well more aero for a fatbike rider anyway, which made riding into the wind a lot easier.


On reaching the plantation we had two choices, Cooking on Gas, a new trail sponsored by Go Outdoors, and the older Blue Steel trail. Both start and end close to each other, with a climb back up to the start. Once my hands warmed up again we chose to go Cooking, and did a couple of runs down. A nice flowing trail, with berms aplenty and smooth lines, but all over too quickly. Our second run was of course an improvement on the first as we got into the flow, but there is room for yet more improvement. I don't ride much singletrack these days.


Blue Steel has a different feel, apart from being muddy near the top (Cooking was bone dry) its a lot more technical, with more rollers and tighter corners. Again we did two runs, but my second run wasn't quite as good as Bud slipped sideways a touch. Bud is my front tyre, Surly's finest 4.8 rubber. It has slipped before, in snow, but always finds grip. However, I was put off a bit and held back a touch on the top section. Surly have a habit of naming tyres after people they know, my back tyre is Lou and they also make an Edna, Nate and a Big Fat Larry (true!).


After those four runs we headed back to the van, with a tailwind this time, holding a good pace. Then home for huge mugs of tea and home made muffins. Post ride tea and cake, there's little in this world better.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment