Sunday, 8 May 2016

Calver trail race.

Today was round 3 of the Spring Series, this time taking place in Calver. Again Dani and myself chose the 5k short course rather than the longer 15k.
The weather was amazing, especially considering that last weekend I ran in snow, but a beautifull hot spring day may be nice to lounge around in but doesn't make for good running, some drizzle would have been nice.
The run started well with a nice flat riverside section, narrow in places which made overtaking difficult but did stop me from shooting off too quickly, then a road crossing forced us to pause whilst drivers drove past oblivious to the fact that a race was taking place. Before long the first hill loomed ahead, where we ran straight through a field of folk with metal detectors. In another field there was a gazebo, more folk searching for treasure and a lot of parked cars, making me wonder if metal detecting is now a sport. Although the hill was steep and fairly long I was determined to run it, I made decent progress and moved up several places. A rocky downhill followed, I let loose and turned an ankle. I ran on, luckily it sorted itself out before I reached the bottom of the slope. By now I'd reached Stoney Middleton, running through backstreets, crossing the main road, up a steep alley then onto grassy fields. One of those fields contained a herd of bullocks, which moved around in a nervous manner and made me wonder about the docility of farm livestock... Out of said field, a short downhill and then, 32 minutes and 1 second after I set out it was all over. Dani came in after with a time of 35.16.
I finished in third place overall (out of 30 finishers), first in my age group. Dani came in 11th and second in her category.



Not a bad result.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment