Sunday, 3 April 2016

Hope trail run.

Racing again today, round 2 of the Dark & White Events Spring Series. Todays race started in Hope, again with a choice of 2 different length courses. We opted for the short course, 6.7k. I'd like to do the 15k option but at the moment I just ain't ready.

We had a claggy (weather wise) start at 9.30. The first few k's were flat but muddy fields where I could move up a few places as I was prepared to storm through mud that others skirted around (even though I was sporting brand new running shoes), at one stage we crossed a railway line, all the while heading towards Castleton. On the outskirts of that popular tourist hunnypot a short road section took us across the road and up. And more up, the climbing becoming steeper and harder through muddy fields, shoes trying to find grip and mostly losing. Despite seemingly slow progress I pulled away, but not from the lady that accompanied me for a short while who made better progress than I did. I followed in her sight until the trail went downhill, then she disappeared. By this time the weather was improving, and I started to feel distinctly overdressed, well I thought we were going to be running in driech!

Downhill was fun, but very slippery still with the threat of injury. Rocks and roots with mud between, again grip became a problem but hey, thats trail running. The last few k to the finish comprised a short road section and more muddy fields. Again the mud was charged as was a small ford (going through the ford looked a quicker option than the wooden bridge), by now my feet were wet anyway. A few more minutes brought the welcome sight of the finish line.

I came 4th, first in my age group, with a time of 44.30 (there were 26 runners on the short course overall). Dani finished just after me. A good course, a good morning, and a good full English in the Courtyard cafe.

His + hers running shoes.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment