Saturday, 2 January 2016

Branchline to Hassop.

First ride of the year. I've not been out on the bike much in the past few months, I've been too busy working and too tired (I have been running a few times though). However a nice long Christmas break has left me feeling quite relaxed and ready to ride again. Or so I thought.

So, its a wet January saturday and Dani decides its high time that we went out. She's a regular on the turbo but hasn't ridden outside for an age, and she bought herself a brand new White hardtail before Christmas which has sat in the hallway over the holiday period untouched(!).

Dani decided that a spin down the Monsal trail to Hassop station would be the thing to do, a nice flat ride to give her new bike a shake down. Also it wouldn't involve swimming in mud. (The Monsal Trail is a converted railway line).

So we headed south out of Buxton on the A6, once a destination in its own right but now a busy A road and quite an unpleasent ride on two wheels. Running alongside the river, I spent my time wondering if I should be on the other side of the wall in a kayak. But even though the water was high I reckon that it would have still been a bump + scrape so not really worth considering.

We turned of the A6 at Blackwell Mill, following the river still, then up a slope and onto the abandoned railway line. Up to now we were making good progress, and we managed o keep a good fast pace going once we were the Trail. I was on my full suss. Kona, which has always been a quick bike.

It took us 45ish minutes to reach Hassop from Buxton, we arrived soaking wet and covered in muck, Dani's face being particulary muddy. She blamed me, saying that she got sprayed by my back tyre. A few odd looks came her way when she went in to order drinks. Two hot chocolates and two slices of cake were quickly consumed before we headed back home. I'd cooled down considerably when we stopped and found it difficult to warm up again, when I get cold it takes a long time for me to warm up again. My pace was slower on the return, I should have taken things easier on the outward leg, and the light was starting to fail making me slightly anxious. At Blackwell Mill I raided Dani's backpack for an energy gel. Once we hit the A6 I could start to relax as home wasn't too far away, although any slight incline made my thighs burn. I knew however that the final hill up to our house would be too much so I cycled as far as I could then pushed the rest. Once in the house I stripped off my wet muddy clothing and jumped into the shower, the hot water burning my cold wet legs. Still, we'd been out when it would have been so easy to stay indoors in the warm and dry.

Here's a muddy Dani at Hassop;



Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment