Today the Tour of Britain visited Derbyshire and wound its way through Buxton, so naturally I took a much-needed day of work to go and watch.
There was a sprint stage in town with the race coming through Market Square but we cycled out from town and found a spot on Long Hill (A5004 Buxton to Whaley road), on a nicely manicured verge outside the big posh house. Luckily the weather was warm and dry, and although there was a strong wind it was in the riders favour as they has a good tail wind out of Buxton.
The racers came through in two groups, with several minutes between groups, I took some pics, then it was all over and the road re-opened to traffic. Watching a group of athletes ride past in close formation is always a fine sight, but do you take pics and concentrate on framing the riders, or do you ignore the camera and just wave the group past? Dani took the latter course, and in hindsight I think she had the better idea (especially as my photos are always a bit rubbish!).
After they'd gone Dani jumped back on her bike and rode straight home, whilst I continued on towards Whaley. As could be imagined there were a lot of cyclists out, in fact for a while the road belonged to us. Riding along at speed surrounded by other bikes was enourmous fun, any other traffic was for once forced to travel at our pace, having said that our pace was good! I followed a Landrover 90 for a while, a soft top with the sides rolled up and a girl in the passenger seat photographing us cyclists following behind. Eventually I overtook, and then took the hatchback in front as well, now how often can you do that on a bike on a main road!
Rather than carry on all the way down to Whaley I turned right and followed a bridlepath up a steep grassy field (SK 024762 for the map fans out there) then turned back towards Buxton following the Roman road behind Whitehall. A short off-road excursion perhaps, but quite satisfying in a small way. It was I'm ashamed to say the first time that I've ridden off-road this year. I've been running at least once a week, and I have been out on the road bike when I can, but for the past few months work has taken priority, hence the lack of blog posts. So rather than getting out at the weekends having adventures (albeit small ones) I've been working seven days a week with occasional twelve hour days during the week. Although we need the extra money (house repairs for a start, and Dani is starting university soon) I'll be glad when the overtime finishes so I can go back to getting out and having a life.
Paul.
Your photos are really good, Paul! I did think about going to Beaumaris for the start, but like you, I am overwhelmed with work. I do often think that in photographing, you miss the moment in a situation like this but it sounds like you made up for it with the great ride later on, both off-road and on!
ReplyDeleteYou're too kind Iain, my photos are pretty dull to be honest, not helped by using my compact as my DSLR has developed a fault.
DeleteThe ride back was indeed great fun, not as good as the ride back from the TdeF but still highly entertaining. And it was good to be on my Kona mtb again.
The whole day was a much needed tonic.