This week we've had snow. Quite a lot of it in fact, enough to cause panic Thursday morning, and enough to cover the moors in a thick layer of the soft white stuff. Which meant that we had enough to make it worth getting out the snowshoes for the first time in a couple of winters.
Dani had to stay at home today working, so a phone call to our friend Debbie with the offer of the use of Dani's snowshoes and I had a walking partner for the morning. I'm normally quite happy to walk alone, but sometimes a bit of company is nice (other than Small Dog).
I parked (read dumped in a pile of snow) the Landy on the Burbage end of the Old Macc. Road, gave Debbie a quick 'how to' on putting on snowshoes and we were off. We walked across Goyt's Moss, generally heading East, towards the Goyt's Clough road, then turned North heading for Errwood Reservoir before heading over to Wild Moor.
 |
| Debbie at the start of the walk. |
We noted a car which had left the road and rolled a few times before coming to a stop halfway down a steep bank. Its not a road that I would drive in the snow despite being confident in my driving and in my vehicle. We did see a few 4x4s driving along, as well as a couple of mountain bikers.
 |
| Looking down Goyt's Clough. The bridge leads up to the road on the left. |
The snow was deep, which is good, but soft so I fitted the optional tails to my snowshoes but even then I was sinking up to six inches in places. We dropped down to the Wildmoorstone Brook path, then headed SE, went through a secret gate then had a stiff pull up to Burbage Edge, and into a sidewind.
 |
| Debbie taking in the scenery. |
 |
| The view fom Burbage Edge. |
Along here we encountered the only souls to be met all day, a hardy fell runner and his Collie. (I'm not counting the off-roaders seen driving along the Goyt's Clough Road towards Derbyshre Bridge). He wasn't the only runner out, we saw the footprints of two others on the moors. Fell runners really are super tough! Following the edge South took us back to the start and my faithfull Landy. It took us about four and a half hours, a bit longer than I initially thought. A good walk, hopefully the snow will hang around for a while yet.
 |
| Tools of the trade; MSR Evo Ascent's, fitted with tails. 'Tennis rackets strapped to your feet' they ain't! |
Paul.
Those snow shoes look the business! Goyt Valley used to be one of my favourite training routes on the bike in the seventies...a wonderful place. They say that racing cyclists are really tourists at heart. I used to love stopping and listening to the skylarks...not a bird in much in evidence on your walk!
ReplyDeleteSnow shoes are great! I love the Goyt, so rough and wild yet so close to town.
DeleteBirds - we did see some grouse and a buzzard.