Sunday, 7 December 2014

A short walk on Kinder.

When the weather turns cold my thoughts often turn away from cycling and towards walking boots and hills. So, with sleet forecast, off I went to Edale this morning accompanied by the dogs (Dani being busy on a course). Within 20 minutes of setting off the rain came in hard, so as soon as I reached shelter out came the waterproof trousers (I already had my waterproof jacket on). Wrapped in Gore-Tex I set off towards Grinds Brook Clough, following a group of hardy female fell runners and a couple of lads walking (one in shorts!). Seeing those runners made me wish for better fitness, a few years ago I used to run the route that I intended to walk today. As much as I enjoy walking in the hills, running feels so much 'freer'.
The weather soon improved, although the waterproofs stayed on, and I enjoyed the walk along Grinds Brook, soon passing the two lads. As I reached the steepest part of the path the weather turned again, this time to sleet.

Dogs and sleet, Grinds Brook Clough.

At the top of the clough the weather cleared up briefly, although it was still rather windy, so east I turned and followed the edge of the plateau, past Upper and Nether Tors.

Weathered gritstone.

Even sopping wet and muddy he's a handsome boy!
Nether Tor.

I carried on, through patches of stinging hail, sleet and the lightest snow, to Golden Clough, where I turned down towards The Nab. I took the lower path, which starts out steep with loose rock then turns to steep slippery peat, next time I'll take the higher route. On reaching The Nab its easy going back to Edale. I got back the the car park just as heavy sleet started to fall, which turned to snow just after my return to Buxton.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment