Friday, 18 April 2014

Old shoes, new cleats.

My single pair of cycling shoes (Shimano) are pretty old, but still comfortable and have yet to actually fall apart. The cleats however;


Knackered Time cleat.

I use Time pedals, these have more side to side float than Shimano SPDs which I find more comfortable. The cleats are bronze and are held in place by two screws which pass through the sole into an adjustable steel plate inside the shoe.
The screws were seized solid, any attempt to unscrew them just resulted in the hex head rounding off. So, clamping the shoe in my 24 year old Workmate I fitted a 9.5mm drill into my equally ancient Bosch and set to work drilling the heads off the screws. Which was rather hard on the drill bit, I had to re-sharpen it twice. Luckily I've just been lent a bench grinder, and its nice to know that I can still sharpen a drill off-hand even though I've not had to do it for a few years.

Screw heads drilled out.
Once the heads were drilled off the cleats came away easily and the inner plate could be removed.

Inner plate on left, old cleats top, new cleats below.
I was expecting to have a fight with the stubs left in the inner plates, but to my suprise they came out easily with a pair of pliers. So then it was just a case of refitting the new cleats and sticking some duct tape over the inner plates to seal the inside of the shoes.

New cleats fitted. Sole looks a bit worn though...
Job done.


These are used with clipless pedals, even though the cleat clips onto the pedal. This is to distinguise them from rat traps, which have a cage that you slide your foot into, but no actual clips. Bicycle clips have nothing to do with pedals, but do stop your trousers getting caught in the chain. Hmmm.

When it comes to rat-traps (of the pedal variety) I'm with Sergeant Pluck;
'...If rat-trap pedals were universal it would be the end of bicycles, the people would die like flies...
...Did I ever tell you how I asked Inspector O'Corky about rat-traps? Why they are not made prohibitive, I said, or made specialities like arsenic when you would have to buy them at a chemist's shop and sign a little book and look like a responsible personality?'
'They are a power for the hills,' said Gilhaney.
The Sergeant spat spits on the dry road.
'You would want a special Act of Parliament,' said the Inspector, a special Act of Parliament.'...
Taken, slightly abridged, from 'The Third Policeman' by Flann O'Brien.

Paul.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Love the quote...I have had a few spills with those, as have most cyclists of a certain age :-) I always found getting in them was the worst thing.
    I have an old pair of "Look" shoes and the cleat replacement is a real struggle, involving WD40, a screwdriver, then a drill, a hammer...etc...lots of cursing. I wouldn't be without them, though, even if the Look system sometimes doesn't work as well as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'The Third Policeman' is worth a read Iain, a bicycle obsession is one of the themes and you'll never look at your bike in the same way again!
    Dani uses Shimano pedals and cleats which are pretty much identical to Look, I just use mtb pedals on all of my bikes. I tried rat-traps once - never again!

    ReplyDelete