Saturday, 1 March 2014

Totley Moor.

An easy ride today.
This route came out of MBR magazine and I've been meaning to ride it for a while, prevented by weather and racing.
I parked up next to the A625 next to Totley Moor, then took a wide bridlepath leading from the A625/A6187 junction (near Longshaw Lodge) towards Bole Hill. All easy going, if a little muddy in places, but whats mountain bike ride without a splattering of soil?

Totley Moor, looking towards Sheffield.
An easy-to-miss gate on the left led to a mud hole then one of the sweetest natural singletrack sections I've ridden in a long time, smooth and flowing contouring around a hill.

Singletrack loveliness.
Through a gate, across a field, then its all good quality, sometimes rocky and sometimes smooth, bridlepath flowing down towards a ford.

Splash time!
Turn right, hit tarmac, miss turning, get to junction, check map and directions, go wrong way, retrace, find turning, head for A625, turn right then left, and back off-road again along a byway heading onto Houndkirk Moor.
A short off-road climb (walk, those extra miles took a toll...) and turn left along Houndkirk Lane, a controversial byway which local pressure groups want closing to vehicles (one day they'll win I reckon). This has recently been resurfaced by Sheffield CC, the reports that I've read (written just after the work had been done) say its an awfull surface to ride on, I didn't think it too bad, perhaps the surface has now bedded in helped by a wet winter.

Looking south-west along Houndkirk Lane.
I've driven this lane many years ago pre-resurfacing and it wasn't in bad condition so I can only assume that it had either deteriated in the meantime or Sheffield CC are bonkers and have money to burn... In some places boulders have been placed along the side, presumably to seperate 4x4s and walkers, seems a bit daft, and rather unsightly, to me. I can't see me driving it again though.
The lane meets the A6187, and a short tarmac ride leads past the Fox House Inn and Longshaw Lodge back to the waiting Landy.

A short ride, 12k, but rather satisfying (despite my unplanned deviation) in fine weather. I'll be back.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment