Back to Rudyard today for a Peak Paddlers meet. Four of us met up, others cried off presumably due to the cold, it was a rather frosty morning. So Alan, Gary and myself set off down the calm lake, chatting and catching up. I had small dog with me in the boat, who whittled and kept moving around. I hope that he'll learn to settle in a canoe one day...
As we travelled down the lake the wind picked up, not by much but enough to chill my bare hands, for some reason I left my neoprene mitts at home. At about 2/3rds down my hands were far too cold so we turned back, although I did get distracted when I spotted some old coach bodies on the bank and couldn't resist getting out to explore. Back at the car park I spotted Mark's car, he obviously turned up late and was out on the water, paddling to the end of the lake to eat his lunch. Alan and Gary went out again but my hands were too cold for continued paddling so I got changed and enjoyed and brew and sausage and egg bap from the cafe. The others soon returned, and we were joined by Dani who cycled over from Buxton via Poynton and Macclesfield. With Dani changed (I took a change of clothes for her with me in the Landy), fed and the bike and canoe strapped to my vehicle we took small dog for a walk alongside the railway line before heading home.
 |
| Alan and Gary. |
 |
| Old railway coach - once a holiday home? |
 |
| Mark in his racing canoe. |
Note to self - when winter paddling take mitts and wear fleece under dry trousers, Ronhill leggings just ain't warm enough!
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment