I've finally replaced the 170mm cranks on my Mojito with a pair of 180mm Truvativ Stylos. These are Hollowtech cranks with the axle permamently fitted to the driveside crank, the old pair were square tapered. This meant buying the relevant fitting tool (from Park, who make the best bike tools) as I'm new to Hollowtech. The new set-up, including Hollowtech bottom bracket, is 135 grams lighter than the old. This design is supposedly stiffer, never a bad thing in cranks. Its also getting harder to find decent square taper b/bs.
Here it is;
 |
| Truvativ Stylo 180mm singlespeed cranks. |
I've removed the bashgaurd and replaced the supplied 32T chainring with my 33T Surly one. Bashgaurds in my experience are only good for trapping muck between the gaurd and the ring.
 |
| Rare shot of clean bike, those cranks will never look that good again! |
The extra leverage should be a power for the hills!
Paul.
Looks very nice, although a bit low geared for road work! Well, for me, anyway...but should be just the thing for the sort of gnarly terrain that you tackle. Look at that lovely clean chain, too. Not for long, I suspect! I experimented with different length cranks on my road bike, it will be interesting to see how you get on with these...they will give more torque, that's for sure!
ReplyDeleteI've ridden it once since the cranks were fitted, and they do make a difference allowing me to get more power down. Unfortunetely I was rather worn out at the time so couldn't get the best out of them. They are noticably stiffer.
ReplyDeleteMy first singlespeed, one of the first Inbreds, came with 180mm cranks and I could really power that up hills.