Wednesday, 21 May 2025

Stoke Flat

Stoke Flat is not a flat in Stoke but a stone circle on Froggat Edge in the Peak which we bothered today.

An easy circle to find, even with the bracken growing fast, and a nice spot to drink tea, listen to skylarks and a cuckoo and ponder. I often wonder what the landscape was like back when these megaliths were built, today I wondered if the bracken was present, and if it was managed around the circle.

The circle is in poor condition, but the area nice especially on an afternoon like today's.






Polo;


5 small indentations, which look like tiny cup marks but are most likely natural;



There's been a recent fire on Froggat Edge, caused by discarded glass, luckily it didn't reach the circle although it came very close;


I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment