Saturday, 10 July 2021

A slightly belated Summer Solstice bivi.

 I can't believe its three years since my first and only attempt at bivvying on t'bike.

Recently I've been rather fed up, work getting me down, so I needed to reset my head. So I loaded the bike, picked a spot, and arranged to meet a friend there. I also decided that the summer solstice needed celebrating, which I've never done before even though I've felt that I should for a few years now. So the evening of solstice day, which was a Monday, found me heading out on the bike.



I've bought some more luggage since my last time out, I now have a seat pack and a frame bag, both bought in sales. The seat pack carried my bivi, minus its pegs and poles, along with my roll mat, and the frame bag those pegs and poles and my stove etc. A fork bag, cunningly made from old inner tubes by Beerbabe, held a warm top and a wooly hat (both needed).

I met Debbie as she was walking in, she parked nearby. Once we were at our chosen site we picked what we thought were the best pitches, set up camp, then drank tea as the light faded, chatting away. Then it was time for bed, Debbie prefering a basic bivi whilst I slept in my hooped job.

Sleep wasn't easy, my 'bag is just a little too cold (and bulky to carry), and I'm not used to camping like I used to be. Still, I did get some sleep, and was soon awakened by the morning chorus.



Debbie awoke about the same time I did, demonstrating the advantage of a simple bivi over a hooped bag, you can sit up in one;



Stoves came out and tea make, and porridge for me as well;



Then it was time to go, Debbie to work and me home. We both really enjoyed our night out, she sat at her desk with a big grin on her face and me, well my mind was a lot clearer afterwards. It seems that a night out really did reset my head.

I do know that I need to upgrade some of my kit, since that night I've invested in a new sleeping bag that I'll be trying out soon.


Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment