For quite a long time now I've been meaning to join the Bike & Bivi set, loading up the bike for a night out of lightweight camping (I have bivi'd before, but not with the bike). I've been collecting a few bags etc. ready for over a year now, but until last night I hadn't actually done anything except think about it. Part of the problem was that of kit, my two sleeping bags are quite bulky, and one is a 3 season job and the other apparently 2 season (although I question that). Also although I have some bike bags, I don't have a saddle bag so some of my kit would need to be carried in a rucksack. Now, I decided that if I waited until I had everything that I thought I needed I'd never go out, so I used what I have available, loaded up the bike and rucksack, and headed out.
I didn't go far this time as last night was more about finding out what works and just having a go rather than go off on a long adventure. I'd already picked a spot quite close to home but at the same time quite isolated, at least in feel.
I rode out just before dark, giving myself enough daylight to get to my chosen spot, set up camp and make a brew. On the way there I stopped to photograph the bike, and watch an angry lapwing fly around making a racket, I'm not sure if it was myself that was the object of its rage or a nearby herd of cows. I suspect the latter as the bird seemed to be herding the cows around, like an aerial sheepdog.
The bike handled quite well despite its load, and I made a point of taking a ride down a winding grassy slope just to see how it would handle a mild downhill, which was fine. Lifting it over a gate to get to the top of the slope wasn't too bad either.
At my chosen spot I pegged out my hooped bivi bag, then put a brew on whilst I sorted out my sleeping bag etc. After tea and a Tunnocks Milk Chocolate Caramel Wafer I settled down to bed. And found my first mistake, I pitched on what I thought was a flat spot on long grass, in fact I was on a slight sideslope. I decided to just put up with it, and spent an hour or so before nodding off sliding around on top of my Thermarest, listening to the birds singing and planes coming in to land overhead.
I had an uneasy nights sleep to be honest, partly due to the sloping aspect of my spot but also because I was cold. I took the lighter of my two sleeping bags, which is pretty old and bulky with a comfort rating of 0 degrees. I bought it for a fiver of a biker that I used to work with, he used it once for a motorcycle camp and decided that camping really wasn't for him. However, I did get some sleep, at one point dreaming that I'd woken up surrounded by revellers who'd set up a marquee nearby. In fact the only company that I'd had was a few birds, including an owl that I heard further down the vale.
Morning came, and a misty one at that. I stayed in bed until gone 7, listening to birdsong and the sound of a woodpecker drilling away, waiting for the sun to warm the air and burn the mist away. I made myself some breakfast, Aldi porridge in a pot and tea, starting to decamp whilst the stove did its job. All the time the sun was rising over the sides of my little dale, very welcome as I had a shivery start. Soon it was time to leave. I hadn't seen a soul pass by, I did expect a dogwalker at least, and I'm pleased to report that the only sign of my camp was some flattened grass.
I've learn't quite a lot in one evening. Picking a flat spot is the most important lesson, but also getting to know how a loaded bike handles is important. Some of my kit is old but good for a few years yet, my bivi bag for example, some needs updating, the sleeping bag being the most obvious but also a lighter less bulky sleeping mat would save space and grams.
Kit.
Carried on the bike;
Old Eurohike sleeping bag. Not great...
Alpkit ti mug (used straight on the stove).
Alpkit Kraku stove.
Alpkit Jasper firesteel (works in the wet).
Gas canister.
Spork.
Camera
Head torch.
Tea bags etc. and food.
Water bottle (1 litre did 2 brews and porridge).
Sit mat (my one luxury item, saves sitting on dewy grass in the morning).
Bike bags used;
Alpit 20l drybag carried on a Kanga harness (sleeping bag)
Alpkit large Fuel Pod (camera and head torch).
Alpkit Drop Bear (gas and food).
Alpkit Stem Cell (brew kit, mug, stove, steel).
Carried on my back;
Prolite 4 Thermarest.
Terra Nova Jupiter hooped bivi bag. Used quite a bit in the past, but not for a few years now.
All in an ancient Lowe Alpine rucksack.
Paul.
So awesome, and so inspiring, mate! Keep it on.
ReplyDelete