Saturday, 21 October 2017

Windgather Fell Race.

Windgather is a long fell race, 21k, just over a half marathon, and my longest race to date. I wanted to do it for several reasons, to see how I'd fare over such a distance as well as it being a local course, running through the Goyt just outside Buxton. I'd already recce'd the course (part of which I know very well), in two halves, several times previously so I knew the terrain. On the day it was just a matter of putting it all together.

As this is a long race full kit must be carried, which meant stuffing my bum bag with full waterproofs, a map (photocopy), compass, and, emergency food (breakfast type bar in my case). I also included a bottle of water and several gels.

Registration was at Burbage, in the Burbage Bands hq, so it was just a walk across town for me, stopping at the cashpoint for my £10 entry fee. There were over 150 others entering, so a good turnout.

I don't really get nervous before a race, not even at races that I target, perhaps I don't take the sport seriously enough. Anyway, I stayed close to the back on the start line as is usual for me.
Once we were off, at just past 11am, I tried to keep a reasonable pace along the tarmac, being swept along with everyone else, slowing to a fast walk as it steepened. Bottlenecks are almost de-riguor close to the start of a fell race, and we came to ours just as we left the blacktop to head into the Goyt. After a walk up some steps we were onto the moors, heading across to Bunsal Cob, then a short tarmac downhill led to Fernilee Reservoir and woodland running before turning to farm track all the time heading North. After a steep uphill stretch of tarmac we headed left, up onto Taxal Moor then down into woodland, emerging behind Wingather Rocks. Mucky moorland tracks now took us to Pym's Chair, and my favourite climb, up Cats Tor and onto Shing Tor. Although I had been reduced to walking a few times already Shining Tor is a climb that I know well so as a matter of personal pride I kept running, overtaking a few others, enjoying the terrain and the views. From the its a short descent and a shorter climb up onto Stake Side, turn right then left and drop down past Goytsclough Quarry to come out onto the one way road. This descent is a little rough (lots of loose rocks) in places, a little boggy in others (recent rain made it more so, I lost my legs down to the calfs a couple of times), but mostly good running. Once the road was crossed we headed over Goyt's Moss, on a rather deceptive path. Deceptive because its climbs along its entire length, not a steep climb but steady, enough to reduce me to a walk along most of its length. However, on leaving the moor, its all downhill across sheep fields, coming out on the Old Macc. Road. Except that it wasn't, there was a left turn up a farm track, which included a very short but very unwelcome climb, not good for legs that have already done a tough 20k. Soon though the finish line was in sight, a very welcome sight even though it was just a flag and a bit of tape in a field.

Back in the hall refreshments were being served, £3.50 got me a cheese roll, a slice of cake and a cup of tea. Then, after prizegiving, it was time to walk home, with legs covered in peat. I stopped at our favourite Buxton cafe, The Green Pavilion, for a slice of beetroot cake and a cup of tea, before hobbling up the hill to home.

I enjoyed the race, perhaps not as much as others that I've done, but I reckon that I can do better. My running style seems to have degenerated in recent months, so at some stage I'll have to book myself in for some gait analysis. I could also do with some lighter waterproof trousers, the pair that I carried are meant for hillwalking and are bulky and heavy. Two things to sort out over the winter.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment