Today was Edale Country Day, which of course meant the annual Edale Fell Race, an event that I rather enjoy. I did this race last year, in fact it was my first ever fell race. This year I wanted to do better and beat last years time of 57.22. I've run the course a few times over the last few weeks, getting used to the challenging terrain and looking for the best lines through certain sections.
I started too fast. The first section, uphill all the way, starts in a sheep field, goes through a gate and onto stone tracks up to The Nab and Ringing Roger. I went off at a good pace to the gate, so that I wouldn't drop back too far on the steep path where only the strongest run and the other 90% walk. Despite warming up before the race I was puffing hard on the long climb to Golden Clough, and even when I got onto the edge I was finding the going difficult (not helped by a strong sidewind). My mind was filled with negative thoughts, I didn't sleep well enough on the previous two nights, I should have downed a gel beforehand, perhaps I trained too much the in the week before, basically I was piling pressure on myself because I had set myself a target and wanted to do well on a local course. It didn't help that I wasn't passing anyone, instead there were plenty of runners passing me, but I did keep reminding myself that I was running my own race, trying to beat the clock. I soon reached Grindsbrook Clough though, and realised that I was on target. Still more runners passed me.
Soon I could see Grindslow Knoll, the last short uphill section. Up and over, after a short tactical walk, then down down down. Despite recce'ing the course several times I almost missed the runner's line down off the Knoll, which is a feint grassy track through the undergrowth running parallel to the awkward stone slab path where everyone else headed down. The runner's line is faster and easier on the legs, proved by the fact that I passed a few others who'd passed me previously. Then it was through a gate and onto stony tracks where I soon lost my advantage. However, by this point I was finally starting to enjoy myself. Another gate led into a sheep field, where the going was easier, then a tree lined path led out onto the road for the final section down towards the finish line. A few steps up a bank, a short section of grass and into the Country Day field and the finish line.
I finished in a time of 53:59, over 3 minutes quicker than last year and nicely under the sub 55 minute time that I was aiming for. I was in 108th place, out of 173 finishers.
Was I satisfied? Yes and no. Yes because I achieved my target but no because I feel that I could have run a much better race. I did go off too quickly, made obvious by the fact that I was getting passed at every stage, so I need to think carefully about and improve my tactics. Also I should make sure that I get plenty of sleep in the nights leading up to an event. So plenty to work on.
(The bike in the photo is Dani's, as she wasn't running she rode over from Buxton and came back in the Landy.)
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment