Thursday, 18 May 2017

Shining Tor fell race.

I don't usually do the weekday fell races as they don't fit in with shift work, but yesterday I made an exception. The Shining Tor race is one that I've wanted to do for a few years now, its on my doorstep so most of the route is familiar and the Goyt is my favourite area to run in.

The day started wet, and continued in the same vein until the evening when it was just damp. So I wasn't overly looking forward to the event, mainly because I knew that the flagstones leading off the summit (the route ran clockwise) would be slippery no matter what footwear I used, a fact which hadn't escaped the organisers as they warned us about the flags beforehand.




We started on the road beside Errwood Reservoir at 7.15pm, heading along the blacktop to a carpark then leaving the tarmac and heading up past Errwood Hall. Then turning south we headed up towards Shooters Clough (map here). I had a good pace going, passing a number of other runners (some walking) on this uphill section, keeping the legs turning over.

Coming out of Shooters Clough we headed through a gate then again kept south following the wall. A few passed me along this section, but then we threaded our way through another gate headed for the summit. Once through the path drops down, where I let go and made up a couple of places, before the stiff climb up to the trig point. I was still running well, and was quite pleased to see the summit enclosed in mist, perfect conditions as far as I was concerned as I like being up there when its a bit claggy (and I was as usual overdressed, in long sleeve baselayer and gilet). On reaching the summit the path turns right and drops towards Pym's Chair on the dreaded flagstones. Usually I can reach a good lick along here, but they were rather more slippery than usual (although not as bad as the time when I found them covered in black ice!!) and I'm afraid that I took things far steadier than I ought to have. About 4 or 5 runners came past me, which could have been avoided if I just let go a bit more which in hindsight I could have done. Still, its all a learning experience, and I could always go back and practice (I usually run up this section, not down.)

Off the flags and I could let go a bit more down towards the gate and down The Street. Rather than run down the tarmac the route did of course stick to the side, where its rocky, wet, muddy and in places rutted. Leaving The Street we skirted woodland and went through a sheepfield, heading towards Errwood Sailing Club and the finish line. In the last stages another runner overtook me, who I couldn't catch despite my best efforts. I sprinted across the dam convinced that I had someone on my tail, and crossed the line out of breath but satisfied.

I finished in a time of 58:25, 137th out of 233 finishers. I'm happy with that, but there's work to be done for next year.


In closing I should say that this was a very well marshalled event (Buxton Mountain Rescue helping out) and I was amazed by the amount of spectators on Shining Tor itself and along the path down to Pym's Chair.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment