As I'd enjoyed Battle on the Beach, and because Dani had already entered, I decided to have a crack at another mtb race and enter the 'fun' category. Part of the Midlands XC Series, this mountain bike race was on the 9th of April.
I took the Inbred, partly because the fatbike was awaiting attention after BotB and winter in general and partly to remind myself why I loved riding the thing. I had a feeling that the course would be suited to single-speedery, confirmed by pre-riding it before the race started.
The fun group was the last to set off in the morning, after the various age groupers etc. I decided to hang around the back as the day was all about seeing if I like this style of racing. Also, I was riding like a sack of spuds hung over the top tube.
I didn't really enjoy the first lap. The biggest problem with riding single-speed is climbs. Not the actual climbing but the fact that you need to get the power down through the legs and hammer up. If someone in front is going too slow and you can't pass then you're probably going to stall. This happened several times over the race, no fault of any other riders but annoying nonetheless. Rather more annoying is the rudeness displayed by other faster riders. As in shouting 'RIDERS' and expecting everyone else to move out of their way despite the fact that no-one is obliged to give up the racing line for anyone else. On the first lap some **** shouted from behind on tight singletrack (nowhere to move) then barged past me tangling our bars up. Then flew off without so much as an apology despite nearly putting us both in the dirt.
I didn't enjoy the second lap either. Again I tangled bars with another, this time on a climb. He did say "on your left" I gave him plenty of room and he still knocked into me. He did apologise though, but why try and take us both out for the sake of 2 seconds? Later on whilst pushing up a climb (stalled again...) a rider came up demanding that we all gave him room. Well sorry but you're not the only one here!
I crossed the finish line in foul mood, 15th out of 23 riders in my class. I dislike rudeness, when I overtake I wait until I feel that we both have enough room and try to be as polite as possible. Maybe thats why I didn't enjoy today, I try to treat others with respect and perhaps its too much to expect that I'm treated the same. Or maybe the racing environment brings out the worst in people. Either way I shall think very carefully about enetering another race in this series. Perhaps I should just toughen up and ignore the ignorant. Good course though.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment