Saturday, 14 January 2017

A snowy run up Shining Tor.

Yesterday it snowed. Not a great deal to be honest, and its disappearing fairly quickly around town but there's still some on the hills. So with only one 'play day' this weekend (a trip to Northamptonshire was pencilled for Sunday to pick up my amp which has been for repair) I had to make the decision - run or bike. Running won, partly because I have a race coming up at the end of February and partly because I felt that mountain biking would revolve around slushy wetness. So we jumped in the Landy and headed into the Goyt.

We had seperate agendas, Dani was given a session to do from her trainer which involved running two laps of Fernilee whilst my aim was to do my Shining Tor loop. So after parking at the bottom of Goyts Lane we set off across the dam together then went our seperate ways.


I ran up the Street, along the road rather than up the side for a change as the side where I usually run would be a horrible slushy mess. There I saw a party of four cyclists carefully making their way down, the men scooting with one foot dragging along the ground and the women pushing. At the highest point of the road I went through a gate onto the footpath that leads past Pym's Chair and up to Shining Tor. It wasn't long before the camera came out;


In fact it came out rather a lot;










Well, I like snowy landscapes!

There were loads of people out, I even saw sled marks all the way up to the summit. Someone has quite a bit of perseverence.

I was really enjoying myself, I love running in the snow as this selfie taken at the summit will show;


From the summit the Cat and Fiddle could just be seen;


And Shutlingsloe looked particulary fine in the distance;


From the summit its mostly downhill towards Errwood Reservoir, where I met Dani as she ran along the road to warm down;


Not far now, up the road and across the dam. But still time for one more photo;


I absolutely love running in snow, although it is quite hard work. The sights, sounds (that underfoot crunch) and crisp air make for a special experience.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment