Saturday, 3 December 2016

Global Fat Bike Day.

Today was Global Fat Bike Day, when fat bike owners from all around the world go out and ride their bonkers bikes, either on their own or in a group. For some reason I thought it might be a good idea to organise a ride in my local area. Leading a ride is something that I'd never done before, and I have to say I was rather apprehensive. What if no-one turned up, or too many, or they didn't like the route, or someone came along who hasn't ridden for years and had just bought a fatbike, or turned up on a badly maintained machine, or... you get the idea. In the end I decided to just not worry and see how the day panned out.

The route that I planned to ride is one that I know well, so there could be plenty of escape options if the weather turned 'interesting' or someone suffered a fall or mechanical. And there would be two options, either 25k or 40k, the split point being being close to Buxton and easy to navigate back from. In the end everyone wanted to do the full route, which I was more than happy with as the best riding came after the split.

The meet was at Buxton station (easy to find and good parking) at 10am. Three riders turned up, Paul, Ivan and Tony, which made a nice sized group. Leaving town started with a climb, but every route out of Buxton involves climbing, heading out on Long Hill and around the back of Whitehall outdoor centre. Ladder Hill wasn't as wet as usual, nor was it frozen as I thought it might be, but Paul managed to make quite a splash on his Ice Cream Truck;






We headed down to Taxal, and through the ford, Here's Ivan, who enjoyed it so much he rode through twice;


A mix of farm tracks and bridlepaths took us into the woods at Fernilee;





Thats Tony and Paul riding and chatting.

From the woods its a long but pretty tarmac ride to Derbyshire Bridge, where we refueled and Paul pumped some extra air into his massive tyres;



Derbyshire Bridge was the split point, left for Buxton right for the C&F and the wilder part of the ride. We of course turned right and headed across the moors at Danebower Hollow to join the Congleton road and then onto Cumberland Brook. This section of the ride is pretty gnarly, starting with a superb rocky track through sheep country which leads to the excellent Cumberland Brook downhill. I rode ahead to take some photos;






By this time my legs were getting rather empty, and there were a few steep tarmac climbs to clear before the next section, and great little downhill close to Macclesfield Forest. More climbing followed on the way back to the C&F, then onto the Old Macc. Road, our last off-road section of the day. Feeling tired and mindfull of the fact that I fell off the last time I rode down there I took it easy, then it was just a short ride tinto town and hot chocolate and cake in the Green Pavillion cafe;


(My lens steamed up!)

I had a fantastic ride, all my fears were unfounded as everyone said that they really enjoyed the day as well. Would I do it again? Yes, perhaps in the Spring, in a different part of the Peaks.

Thanks to Paul Tony and Ivan for their company.

Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment